Re: Defaut KDE wallpaper

Hi Ronoaldo,

2012/7/10 Ronoaldo José de Lana Pereira <ronoaldo@gmail.com>:
> I'm working on theme packages for the Debian Desktop, and came with a few
> problems overriding the default KDE wallpaper. I noticed that
> kde-wallpaper-default comes with a symlink in
> /usr/share/wallpapers/kde-default, that points to the default wallpaper. It
> would be very nice to be able to override this default link with a new
> installed theme.

I don't have much experience with /etc/alternatives, but managing the KDE
related artwork with symlinks is definitely doable.

> Currently, desktop-base (and probably any other theme package) creates a
> plasma script to run upon the user's first KDE configuration, and at that
> point override the default.

It took me a bit of time, to get this working correctly with plasma scripting.
This was suggested to be the way to go, if you want to modify the users
workspace.

> This simply don't work very well for some
> scenarios, like installing a new theme or changing the default theme to
> another one by the installation of a package. Put in other words: it could
> be nice to be able to change the default KDE wallpaper systemwide.
> I wold like to discuss with the kde maintainers if there is any way to
> change this symlink to use the alternatives system, allowing the default
> theme to be replaced by another package or by user choice if there is more
> than one alternative, and potentially avoiding the use of plasma-scripts to
> set the default wallpaper.

The plasma script is part of the desktop-base package. So there is probably no
change needed for KDE packages. We just have to make sure that
/usr/share/wallpapers/kde-default (and also kdm and ksplash themes) is reset to
whatever KDE upstream has as default, when no theme package is installed.

Another alternative would be to have a clone of the desktop-base package, using
the same current methods to set defaults but additionally conflict with
desktop-base (and other theme packages), so that users can only have one theme
package installed at a time.
This definitely is an unclean way, but would avoid changes to the current
desktop-base package, which could be a problem because of wheezy's freeze.

> If something similar could be done with the default Ksplash theme, that wold
> be also great.

Well, this is handled by
/usr/share/desktop-base/profiles/kde-profile/share/config/ksplashrc which could
also be changed by /etc/alternatives/. Same is true for the KDM Theme.

Since KDE packages are not involved here, we could move this discussion to the
debian-desktop ML or to IRC, where you can find me and Paul in #debian-desktop.
I'd want at least Paul (CC'ed) to confirm /etc/alternatives is the way
to go to manage
multiple themes.
What about the other DEs like Gnome and Xfce? Are they already working
with your theme
package?
I myself, as co-maintainer, am fine to clean up the
deskop-base package to work with multiple themes for KDE.

> Thanks for your attention and comments.

And thank you for working on the other theme packages.

Cheers,

Eshat