From: Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 9:24 PM
Subject: Advice for preparing packaging of KIO module

Hello Kartik,

I have added a KIO slave module to Recoll. This allows searching inside KDE
Konqueror, or in KDE programs File-Open dialogs.

The KIO module is built using cmake, the default tool for KDE 4. I have
seen other examples of KIO modules, and it seems that this is not a
problem.

The KIO will be a separate binary package, because, obviously, I don't want
the recoll package to depend on KDE.

The problem I have is that the KIO source code is inside the recoll tree,
ie inside recoll-x.y.z/kde/kioslave/recoll/, and this really does not match
what the debian tools apparently expect: having a top directory named
kio-recoll-x.y.z, having the build directory at the top of the tree, etc.

I can change the structure of the source tree, but I would like to keep
only one tar file, as the KIO needs the main recoll source to build, and is
itself small, so it would look a bit stupid to have recoll-x.y.z.tar.gz and
kio-recoll-x.y.tar.gz both being 95% the same code.

I also don't intend to become a packaging expert, just to make sure that
the software will be easy to handle, and the surest way would be to run a
debuild before releasing the source.

So would you know how I should address the problem, or, where I should best
ask questions, or could you point me to some documentation ?

Regards,
JF

--
 Cheers,