Re: How to prevent KDE from shutting down the machine?

El Domingo 03 Febrero 2008, Peter Rottengatter escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I'm puzzled by this mystery, and not even a complete (not small) Linux User
> Group was able to help me.
>
> I want to prevent ordinary users of KDE (3.5) to shut down the machine
> after logout.  When they log out they get that dialog showing Konqui
> sleeping in a moon crescent, when choosing the shutdown option the machine
> goes down. I'm not sure about the background mechanisms involved, but this
> is what I did:
>
> There is this option in the session manager in the control center to switch
> off that dialog. No use because any user can re-enable it, no root passwort
> needed.
>
> There is that option in the login manager in the control center that
> specifies which users are allowed to shut down. This one irritates me,
> because when clicking to the login manager it initially shows me the option
> being set to "Everybody", but when giving the root passwort in order to be
> able to change it, it automatically switches over to "Nobody". But
> regardless what it is set to ordinary KDE users can shut down when logging
> out.
>
> I've learned the actual shut down action is performed by the display
> manager. I do not use kdm, in fact it is not even installed. I use gdm, and
> in oder to prevent it from accepting user commands to shut down I inserted
> the following lines into /etc/gdm/gdm.conf:
>     # Don't allow shutdown on logout
>     AllowLogoutActions=
> According to the gdm docs this should disable user shutdown.
>
> None of these things disallowed shut down by KDE users.
>
> Forgive me if you're the wrong address here but I ran out of clues and no
> one else I asked was able to help. I'm not subscribed to this mailing list
> so please add my From: address to the recipients.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> Peter
>
> Version information: Debian AMD64 somewhere between Sarge and Etch, KDE
> core 5:45, kdelibs 4:3.5.5a.dfsg.1-3, gdm 2.6.0.8-1sarge2

I guess that will be a gdm option, but there I can't help you because I use
kdm. Perhaps you should ask in a gnome list, as gdm is part of the gnome
project.

Regards, Damian.-

--
Gabardinas "Windows 95". Se cuelgan solas.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
#bblug irc.freenode.net