Qt packaging

Hi
   My name is Gudjon and I have been spending the last days on packaging Qwt5
and PyQwt5 (I have already got PyQwt4 into Debian).
   I would like the libraries compiled against Qt3 and Qt4 to coexist but I am
wondering what tactics to use. Gerard Vermeulen (the PyQwt maintainer) has
suggested having a postfix to the library names libqwt-qt3.so.5.0.0 and
libqwt-qt4.so.5.0.0 . Is that OK?
   I have sent Brian Nelson, the package maintainer of libqwt two polite
emails, asking if he was planning to package Qwt5 but haven't received an
answer.
   Is there any general rule in distinguishing between cases like this with
Qt3 and Qt4 in Debian where all libraries are supposed to go into /usr/lib?

Regards
Gudjon

Ps. I am not a member yet so please CC me.