Re: intent to do a poppler transition

Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org> wrote:

> Step 1:
> Looks like ideal move would be to create libpoppler0.5-dev; -glib and
> -qt bindings didn't change API, so they could keep their name.
>
> Step 2:
> And I will introduce debian specific SONAME for libpoppler, so we are
> not hit by random ABI changes.

I have no experience with that, but naively I would assume that we
rather keep the soname until testing (or just information from upstream)
indicates an actual ABI change?

> Step 3:
> I would like to look at possibility of creating libpoppler-plain library
> with minimal subset of functionality needed by other packages and stable
> (incremental) API.
>
> Step 4:
> In future we should drop libpoppler-dev at all and have just
> -plain,-glib,-qt bindings -dev packages available.
>
> Agreed?

Yes, especially if someone else does the work for steps 3 and 4...

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)