Re: howto pack kdm-themes

On August 31, 2005 15:37, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> As I understand you, I should take a few (lets say five for the start)
> themes and put them all together in a package named kde-kdm-themes. But
> what I'd really like to see in this case is, that I/we should be able to
> add some themes in the future in this package.
>
> I'd like to emphasis this point because, kdm-themes are quiet new (since
> 3.4.2 I think) and not even enabled by default in debian (which I
> requested a few weeks ago BTW ;).
>
> So chances are high, that in the next moths better themes will appear and
> it would be sad if we had to stick with old themes just because I was
> "mad now" to upload some packages.
>
> If it would be possible to add some themes from time to time, than I'd
> get my hands on some top-10-on-kde-look-org themes an make a new package
> in the next days.

For now, there is no need to ship more than one theme, if you don't want to.
Personally, I don't think it would be really necessary to strictly track a
top-10 list or anything like that. Simply add themes to the package when
they're requested (unless you judge them to be crap), or when you have
found something that looks popular and seems of decent quality. This would
probably mean that your package will grow over the next year, as kdm themes
become more popular (as you point out). But this is just my opinion - you
can manage the collection as you feel fit, adding (and removing) themes.

> And when we talk about kdm-themes -- would it be possible to uncomment
> the "UseTheme=True" line in kdmrc in future (>= 3.4.2) versions of kde?

I'm not sure this is a good idea. While it would simplify setup for users of
your package, the difference is only very slight, since they'll still have
to edit kdmrc to tell kdm which specific theme to use. Also, uncommenting
"UseTheme=True" means that kdm's default appearance will be the Circles
theme. Not only do I personally find it unattractive, but I think a lot of
users would probably prefer that kdm's default appearance remain as it is.

Cheers,
Christopher Martin