Re: howto pack kdm-themes

On August 24, 2005 07:03, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> Hi qt-kde-devs,
>
> I've packed[1] the kdm-theme-krystal[2] theme for kdm. It was rejected by
> ftp-master for the following reason:

<snip>

> could you please give me a hint, what's wrong with the package or sponsor
> the upload (with a hint, that this package is approved by qt-kde-dev) if
> it is OK?

Hello,

There were a few things we wanted to talk to you about, before the package
is accepted into the archive.

1) While icon themes are large and should therefore be packaged
individually, I doesn't really make sense to maintain a potentially large
number of packages with kdm themes, all of which are 300k. Perhaps it would
be better to maintain a single kdm theme package, named something like
kde-themes-kdm, or kde-kdm-themes. As maintainer of such a package, you
would have to exercise judgment about which kdm themes to include and which
to leave out (since you'll get wishlist requests from users, etc.).

2) Your original package name, kdm-theme-krystal, might be difficult for
users to find, since it breaks the standard naming pattern for 3rd-party
KDE artwork packages, which is kde-<artwork_type>-<specific_name>, eg.
kde-icons-nuovext. Something like kde-kdmtheme-krystal would be better.
This is a little awkward, I admit, but the whole problem is circumvented if
you agree to the idea behind point (1).

3) Your package descriptions, both the long and the short, need work. The
short description refers to the "official" KDE icons and logo. Crystal is
the default/official KDE icon theme at the present time, and Krystal is
based on it, but to refer to your theme as "official" might confuse users
into thinking that Krystal is the official kdm theme, which it is not,
wherever the artwork it uses comes from. I'd try to avoid the use of the
word "official" in general. The long description should not discuss how to
configure the system to use kdm themes. That is what README.Debian files
are for, which I see you've written already - great. The long description
could use, instead, a link to the theme's homepage, if it has one.

Anyway, let us know what you think about these ideas, and if you make a new
package, send us a link to it so we can have a quick look. Hopefully we can
work out a solution that we all like, and then your package can be accepted
into the archive.

Cheers,
Christopher Martin