Re: KDE 3.2.0 Status Update - 20040221

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 11:37:59AM +1100, Ben Burton wrote:
> The problem in my mind is not people being denied access to KDE 3.1.5.
> It's that once KDE 3.2 is in sid we more or less become committed to
> releasing sarge with 3.2, since we'll no longer be able to upload
> bugfixes for KDE 3.1.5.

isnt testing-proposed-updates for that?

> This means that before sarge freezes we have to not only iron all the
> faults out of KDE 3.2, but we also have to locate and fix problems with
> 3rd-party apps that only appear with KDE 3.2.

> (Specifically I worry about *locating* these 3rd-party problems since it
> doesn't leave very much time at all for testing.)

The we should probably notify all 3rd party maintainers to try
running/compiling their packages against kde 3.2 in experimental/p.do
packages.

IMHO the real problem is arm/mips/mipsel/m68k - nothing guarantees that
they will compile our packages in timely manner. I am not really happy
of the thought that providing the best possible kde to 99% of
our users depends on compiling kde on platforms whose users will
probably not really use kde for anything :(

--
Riku Voipio  	       |    riku.voipio@iki.fi         |
kirkkonummentie 33     |    +358 40 8476974          --+--