Re: kde 3.3.x

* Frederik Dannemare [Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:05:32 +0100]:
> On Friday 10 December 2004 11:53, Daniel Rode wrote:

> > is there a chance that kde 3.3.x will be avaliable for Debian Sarge?
> > As I can see there are only few (three?) bugs and two of them seems
> > to be not too serious/easy to squish (according to messages avaliable
> > at bugs.debian.org).

> You may want to have a look at this thread
> <http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2004/11/msg00153.html> where
> Steve Langasek (I believe he's a RM) says:

> "KDE 3.3 in sarge is contingent on the KDE maintainers being able to
> provide the same sort of assurances that were asked of the GNOME
> maintainers regarding the safety of allowing these packages to trickle
> in (i.e., the correctness of the package relationships), which calls
> for comprehensive partial upgrade testing."

> I'm not really sure what the current status of all this is.

  work in progress.

> At least I haven't noticed anything new on public debian mailing
> lists, but maybe the issues at hand are being discussed privately
> between KDE maintainers and the Release Team?

  the issues were being discussed privately by some members of the KDE
  team, and now this proposal [1] has just been sent to debian-release.

    [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2004/12/msg00079.html

> If "comprehensive partial upgrade testing" is doing something else,
> please let us know so we can help in getting 3.3.x (I see 3.3.2 is out
> upstream) shipped with Sarge.

  if you read the link above (and, perhaps, this other thread [2])
  you'll see that we don't need partial upgrades testing since we don't
  let mixed versions happen in sarge.

    [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2004/11/msg00154.html

  otoh, it would be helpful to install kdelibs 3.3 in a sarge machine
  (or the full kde 3.3, even better) and test that the rest of
  non-official applications (e.g., k3b, kaffeine, digikam, showimg,
  kvim, kile, gwenview, konserve and a lot more) still do work
  correctly.

  that's certainly an area in which anybody interested in seeing kde 3.3
  in sarge can help.

    (well, any of these applications is expected to break, but one can
    never be sure. rationale for testing is that once kdelibs enter,
    versions of these applications compiled against kdelibs 3.3 can
    enter, but it won't be immediate and some of them could get not
    updated as well).

  thanks,

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

A celebrity is a person who works hard all his life to become well known,
then wears dark glasses to avoid being recognized.
                -- Fred Allen