Re: kde 3.3.x

On Friday 10 December 2004 11:53, Daniel Rode wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there a chance that kde 3.3.x will be avaliable for Debian Sarge?
> As I can see there are only few (three?) bugs and two of them seems
> to be not too serious/easy to squish (according to messages avaliable
> at bugs.debian.org).
>
> Please answer me directly since I'm not a member of this mail-list.
>
> Best regards,
> Daniel Rode

You may want to have a look at this thread
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2004/11/msg00153.html> where
Steve Langasek (I believe he's a RM) says:

"KDE 3.3 in sarge is contingent on the KDE maintainers being able to
provide the same sort of assurances that were asked of the GNOME
maintainers regarding the safety of allowing these packages to trickle
in (i.e., the correctness of the package relationships), which calls
for comprehensive partial upgrade testing."

I'm not really sure what the current status of all this is. At least I
haven't noticed anything new on public debian mailing lists, but maybe
the issues at hand are being discussed privately between KDE
maintainers and the Release Team?

Does someone from the KDE maint. team have any input on this, and is
there anything I and others can do to help? I mean is the
"comprehensive partial upgrade testing" a matter of doing this?:

1) starting out with a complete KDE 3.2.2 on Sarge
2) change apt sources to Sid
3) randomly select a single KDE package to upgrade
4) analyse the usability of the system after the upgrade
5) randomly select a single KDE package to upgrade
6) analyse the usability of the system after the upgrade
7) ...

Then, if problems are encountered, they are reported to the BTS with a
subject of "[Partial upgrade problem] blah blah blah" to easily
identify them.

If "comprehensive partial upgrade testing" is doing something else,
please let us know so we can help in getting 3.3.x (I see 3.3.2 is out
upstream) shipped with Sarge.

B/R,
--
Frederik Dannemare | mailto:frederik@dannemare.net