Dependency kdegraphics

Dear maintainers,

Installed a few weeks ago DEB-Sarge as a desired successor of my mixture of
SuSE and own enhancements of LINUX. So please don't be too harsh if my
question is very newbie.
I wanted to remove the package "sane" as I do not own a scanner. Aptitude
told me, that "kooka" depended on it (okay, reasonably that) so I also
wanted to remove kooka. Then came the message, that "kdegraphics" depended
on kooka. This I couln't reasonably follow as logical, but nevertheless I
wanted to get rid of sane/kooka, so started the removal. And yes,
kdegraphics was completely removed too, leaving me with a severely
mutilated KDE-system.
Newbie as I am, I then (re)installed kdegraphics. And, oh what surprise,
aptitude decided to additionally install kooka and sane, like it or not.
My question now: why do you prescribe such strict dependencies _downstream_
for programs, that most probably are not necessary for quite a lot of
users? And how can they/I circumvent them?

     With kind regards,
     Peter Holm (peter_w_holm@gmx.net)