Re: Help with Qt internationalization

* Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> [2004-06-15 23:11:33 +0200]:

> I'm dealing with a bug in the Qt pluging of Licq: #123836
>
> Licq uses the Qt interfaces for message translation.  Apparently, Qt
> ignores the standard locale environment variables.  None of
>
> LC_ALL=fr_FR
> LC_ALL=fr
> LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR
> LC_MESSAGES=fr
>
> succeed to change the language.  But
>
> LANG=fr
> LANG=fr_FR
>
> work.  I also notice that none of these environment variables work to
> change the language of a random KDE application like konsole.  Can
> anyone explain how the Qt internationalization facilities work and how
> the user is to set up his environment properly?

Peter,

I've run into this problem with the package I maintain - scribus.
Apparently the standard Qt3 action is to only read $LANG. See bug report
#201797. The upstream team added the missing functionality directly to
the main program code. See the file main.cpp in the program source for a
short and nicely working snippet of c++ that does solves this issue.

Regards,

Alex.