Re: Problems with startup menu.

On April 25, 2004 13:10, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Why is menu-xdg only a Recommended by kdelibs-bin ?  IIUC, it is
> needed for Debian policy conformance, and as such should be a hard
> depends, no ?

The question of which package should document and/or have a package
relationship with menu-xdg is separate from the question of the proper
strength of the package relationship.

As to this second issue, the Debian Menu System documentation, Ch. 5,
states:

---------
Please, do not make your package depend on the menu package! The preferred
way of telling dpkg that your wm can cooperate with menu is:

        Suggests: menu

Please only consider using "depends" if you feel providing reasonable
defaults for systems without menu will make life very difficult for you.
---------

If I understand correctly, all that Menu Policy requires of KDE is that it
give users the option of using the Debian menu system. A Depends is not
at all required, since not everyone wants to have the Debian menu system.
So a Recommends is more than enough - in fact, we really should downgrade
menu to a Suggests. GNOME, blackbox, etc. all Suggest menu. No one
Depends on it.

Interestingly, the part of GNOME that Suggests menu is gnome-panel. Maybe
kicker should do the same, instead of kdelibs-bin.

Cheers,
Chris