Re: Please, please, please, upload new kdebase

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 10:41:09PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Please, someone upload a kdebase ASAP which fixes at least the known
> installability & building problems.  As it is, the metapackage 'kdebase'
> is uninstallable on arm, i386, and mips (and also sh and hurd).  kdebase-dev
> isn't installable in i386, which pretty much prevents autobuilding of
> depending packages on i386, and probably makes it difficult for people to help
> debug depending packages!

I was fighting a stupid kernel bug wrt hard drive performance. :\ I
finally found what the cause of the bug was and filed a report on lkml.
Of course right about the time my computer started working correctly the
Debian machines went down. So uploading right now isn't possible. :\

BTW - kdebase not being installable only affects 1. builds and 2. people
not using a real package manager. I fully installed kde with dselect
yesterday (reinstalled my whole pc actually) and it knew to just leave
out kdebase and ksysguardd but installed the rest when I hit '+' on
kdebase.

> Worry about the other bugs later; these bugs interfere with the building
> and debugging of *other* packages, and an upload to fix them is justified
> even if it doesn't make kdebase any better by itself (which it does).

I am planning to just fix the bugs which I already have finished and
attempt to fix the kdm install bugs before upload (so we can verify its
really fixed). The rest of the bugs are relatively minor but should be
fixed before a stable release (around 60 total).

> Notably, these bugs are marked 'pending'.  #210276 is by far the most
> embarrasing, followed by #211475.  Chris, are you really going to upload
> a package promptly?  I know you said you'd do so a couple of days ago.
> What's holding it up?

This week went as follows:

1. Got new hard drive (11/16)
2. Found out the stupid slow hd bug I have been having for months was a
   real kernel bug and finally what caused it. (11/16 - 11/19)
3. Worked around the kernel bug. (11/20)
4. Reinstalled Debian on new hd. (11/20)
5. Saw Debian servers had been compromised. (11/20)
6. Waiting to upload...

Even though several of the Debian machines are be back online, new
uploads are still not being processed at this time.

> If you've lost all your work, announce it and remove the 'pending' marks
> on the bugs.
> If you're personally too busy and unable to do it, admit it and let someone
> else take over the work you've already done.
> If you have build failures, or are running into problems fixing those two bugs
> announce them so that people can help diagnose them.

I still have all my work here and can upload within a few more hours of
work. As far as I remember I have fixed all Grave/Serious/Important bugs
already except for the kdm debconf/install issue.

> If Chris doesn't upload a package in a few days, I hope that someone else
> will upload a package fixing at least #210276 and #211475 (remember to
> set the maintainer to the joint maintenance team while you're at it).

Please no one NMU this, I can and will upload ASAP, I didn't expect for
it to take me this long, but I am ready to do the upload now.

> Apologies for my tone, but this is getting genuninely frustrating.

Yes, I am sorry it took so long for me to get my system back into
working order. At least now my computer works 100%, which it hadn't
since I bought it in July. The moral of the story is never expect
recently made hardware, less than 2 years old, to work under Linux
properly. :\

Chris