Re: the kde meta-package or BTS #211985

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 04:10:11PM +0100, Peter Nuttall wrote:
> and #212933
> Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:10:58 +0100

> Hi=20
>
> I was looking at the BTS for kde while reading some other debian-qt-kde mai=
> l=20
> and I saw that the meta kde package seems to be always broken. I think this=
> =20
> is because it depends on a big chunk of the kde packages (fontconfig,=20
> kde-core, kde-amusements, kdeaddons, kdeadmin, kdeartwork, kdegraphics,=20
> kdemultimedia, kdenetwork, kdepim, kdeutils, koffice and quanta)and if any=
> =20
> one of them is broken or is not compatible with any other then it falls ove=
> r.=20
> Since the normal advice on debian-kde is not to use this and the wiki=20
> ( http://wiki.debian.net/DebianKDE ) also says not to use this, could it be=
> =20
> changed to just show the normal install instructions though debconf or=20
> attempt to just install a base kde system ( ie not kde-amusements, kdeaddon=
> s,=20
> kdemultimedia, kdenetwork, kdepim, kdeutils, koffice and quanta)

Why not use kde-core which already only depends on the minimal packages:
arts, kdelibs, kdebase... However, in the past the part that keeps
getting broken is kdebase which happens to be one of the most important
packages. kdemultimedia is currently broken but that is due to the
gcc-3.3 transition (#203303), once glibc is fixed properly this is
unlikely to happen again. As I understand it glibc will be fixed
sometime next week.

That said meta-kde will be restructured very soon in that unofficial KDE
apps will no longer be mentioned by meta-kde directly, there will be a
second meta-kde-extras source that provides metapackages for them. This
will allow backports to use meta-kde without unsolvable dependencies.

Chris