kde, language, and openoffice?

Hi,

I need to install and configure some debian computers
for non-experienced users with KDE and openoffice.
Now I have a certain problem:

KDE allows to select the user language for the KDE
session, but does not propagate this in the environment
language. Openoffice allows to set the user language as
well, but does not provide a menu option. Instead it requires
the environment variable LANG set properly.

Since I do not want to set the variable globally and do
not want to fiddle with every single account, I'm looking
for a way to propagate the KDE language setting into the
LANG environment variable (once for all users). Any idea
how to do it?

regards
Hadmut