Re: Intent to orphan packages with unreachable maintainer address

Hello,

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 09:43:20PM +0100, Baptiste Beauplat wrote:
> While discussing on #debian-qa how to handle those bugs on packages
> without reachable maintainer, Mattia suggested to simply orphan those,
> without the need of going through the MIA process. Just to be sure of
> what I'm doing, I'm writing this mail as an heads-up.

Let me elaborate a bit while commenting on the list.
In particular, for DDs and DMs, IMHO it's fine to "just orphan" in some
cases, and the MIA team will eventually pick up the rest of the work.

> Al Nikolov <clown@debian.org>

Already went through a MIA process in 2016, but guess he needs another.
Added to the list, feel free to orphan his packages in the meantime.

> Alberto Furia <straluna@email.it>

Feel free to orphan both of his packages.

> Andy Shevchenko <andy@smile.org.ua>

Same.

> Angel Ramos <seamus@debian.org>

Already in a low-prio MIA list, go orphan the packages.

> Antonio Ospite <ospite@studenti.unina.it>

This one is active in other packages with the email ao2@ao2.it (assuming
it's the same person by the same name).  Should probably forward the
kboot-utils bug to him.

> C. Chad Wallace <cwallace@lodgingcompany.com>
>    liblingua-en-namecase-perl

I asked the perl team if they want the package, otherwise I'd propose
removal (not maintaed for 12 years, low popcon).
gregoa said he is going to take the package.

> Carlos Alberto Silombria Ibarra <c@heilroot.com>
>    maildirsync

one past upload was done by a person of the same name using
silverdog@gmail.com - perhaps one could try to that address.
If we can't be bothered, orphan it away.

> Chris Grzegorczyk <grze@eucalyptus.com>
>    geronimo-ejb-3.0-spec
>    geronimo-j2ee-connector-1.5-spec
>    geronimo-jms-1.1-spec

This one has a tad too many packages on his name (9) which makes me
slighly unconfortable in just removing him, otoh that was 10+ years ago,
so meh (to do this cleanly we should also drop him from Uploaders of
some java packages)

> Daniel Jared Dominguez <Jared_Dominguez@Dell.com>
>    wsl

When I noticed that other packages used "jared.dominguez@dell.com" I
though that was a typo, but a quick telnet to dell.com's MX revelead
that also is "user unknown", so whatever.

I can't quickly spot other mail addresses for him, so we should orphan
them all (including uploaders).

> Dmitry Borisyuk <q1werty@i.com.ua>
>    fbxkb

one single upload 6 years ago → orphan.

> Graziano Obertelli <graziano@eucalyptus.com>
>    geronimo-ejb-3.0-spec (U)
>    geronimo-j2ee-connector-1.5-spec (U)
>    geronimo-jms-1.1-spec (U)

I now notice that's a pretty similar set of packages of
grze@eucalyptus.com - which let me notice that the domain is gone.
I'd ask the java team if they are interested in those not yet in the
team, else orphan.

That's a DD: gfa@debian.org - just ask forward the bug to him.

> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org>
>    extra-xdg-menus (U)

This DD is already retired, and indeed MIA already handled him, that's
apparently the last package left with his name: https://bugs.debian.org/831474

> Jeremías Casteglione <debian@jrms.com.ar>
>    numad

should probably ask gfa to take it over, since he is in Uploaders.

> Juliane Holzt <debian@julijane.de>
>    gwhois

That's a DD.  They have been inactive enough, I've added them to MIA's
list.  Feel free to orphan the package though.

> Julián Moreno Patiño <julian@debian.org>
>    john (U)

Last upload of this DD was Feb 2019, which kind of would make the cut
for MIA.  I'm not adding him just yet, but perhaps somebody could try to
send a mail to their other address arkjunix@gmail.com.

> Kamal Mostafa <kamal@whence.com>
>    numad (U)

Already in a low-prio MIA list, though their last activity is actually
nearer than the last person.
They are quite active in launchpad, so likely just mail them on any
other of their addresses (kamal@{canonical.com,debian.org}).

> Kyo Lee <kyo.lee@eucalyptus.com>
>    geronimo-ejb-3.0-spec (U)
>    geronimo-j2ee-connector-1.5-spec (U)
>    geronimo-jms-1.1-spec (U)

same of the eucalyptus guys above.

> Leo Iannacone <l3on@ubuntu.com>
>    apt-venv

sigh... (because I personally knew this person).
They let their @ubuntu.com membership expire, so the mail alias is gone.
Please only forward the bug to leo.iannacone@gmail.com for now.

> Peter Clifton <pcjc2@cam.ac.uk>
>    extra-xdg-menus
>    extra-xdg-menus (U)

I'd say just orphan this, one single upload 12 years ago.

> Petr Baranov <petr@baranov.fi>
>    libloki

one single uplaod 9.5 years ago → orphan.

> Robert James Clay <jame@rocasa.us>
>    crashmail

That's a DM (though from what I see I believe his status will decade
after the bullseye release since he hasn't uploaded in this cycle), but
with quite a lot of packages and many uploads...
I'd say to try to forward the bug to rjclay@gmail.com ; I also notified
gregoa since he seems to have sponsored many of his uploads.

> Ruben Molina <rmolina@udea.edu.co>
>    john

a DM.
I'm unclear how come this person is still in the keyring since I can't
see uploads from him since 2015.
I'd say orphan his packages, and the DM status should hopefully go away
by itself after bullseye.
(I asked keyring-maint why aren't they already removed).

> Valerie R Young <spectranaut@riseup.net>
>    blag-fortune

another sigh since I also knew them.
However the mail rejection just mentions a full mailbox, so just try
mail them again?!
If that's all, just close the bug.

> Vedran Furač <vedranf@riteh.hr>
>    aspell-hr

last upload 2006.. srly.
and what's with the popcon bump last 2 years -.-
since there is that popcon bump just orphan the package... perhaps after
mailing his gmail address.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo