Re: adding a new PTS keyword (Re: [Reproducible-builds] Usefulness of periodic reproducible builds e-mails

On Sat, 03 Oct 2015, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> > What kind of mails are we referring to?
>
> We are talking about very short mails, actually one-liners like

> (this one will be sent out this evening)

They should probably be expanded to be more explicit but I think
that being informed of such changes is interesting in the general case.

> > That said it depends on the mails... we really want only notifications
> > when something significant changes.
>
> Well, we'd like a dedicate keywoard exactly because for a lot of people
> this is not significant.
> The current implementation of sending mails to $pkg@packages.d.o makes
> the mail use the "contact" keyword, and imho this is bad, usually people
> interested in contact only are not interested in this kind of info.

We can always override that decision at the PTS level, we get the mail via
$pkg@packages.d.o (and thus the default "contact" keyword) but it can be
reclassified afterwards.

But I don't agree that we need to add a new keyword. Almost nobody will
know of it and will make the effort to update their subscription, etc.

Either we make it good enough and with enough value so that it stands
as a mail of its own (and I think it's doable with little efforts) or
we should not forward it until we have a way to group multiple small
bits of information (and this where the "summary" keyword was supposed
to come into play).

> Yes, but I guess this require something "qa side", or is it enough to
> just start sending mails to package_reproducible@packages.qa.debian.org
> (or package_reproducible@tracker.debian.org, but that way old PTS user
> wouldn't get those mails) > ??

The answer is not the same for the old and the new but it doesn't matter
as the new PTS will be the one handling all the mails as soon as I finish
the work that I started a few weeks ago.

And there you definitely needs some coordination to make the keyword
exist.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer