Re: removing xchat

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 10:07:41AM +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Le 27/09/2015 21:13, Jesse Rhodes a écrit :
> > Replacing xchat and absorbing the userbase was more-or-less the idea
> > behind packaging hexchat in the first place, so yes, I'm willing.
> >
> > It's true you can't directly migrate your configuration, though. Some
> > settings survive and others do not. I'll chat with upstream about some
> > kind of a migration script but I don't know how feasible it would
> > really be.
> I agree with Paul, this is a blocker for a simple replacement.
> We cannot break user software without a migration helper.

Well we could also revert back to my initial plan to just remove it and
add some notes to the release notes. But that leaves quite some people with
a dead package around. Is that more userfriendly than a forced migration with
a very manual migration path? I also don't find the idea very appealing to
carry around dead softare when we have an actively maintained alternative
available.

I really regret that I NMUed the TLS fix last year, otherwise one could've
killed xchat along with SSLv3. But then again someone else might have NMUed that
one in the same way I did.

Sven