Re: reportbug reports are not sent

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 21:56:30 Joseph Herlant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Reportbug sends mails via your local mail server by default.
> Did you try to look at your local mails.

Anatoly: I think the above means running 'mailq' as root (on the machine you
ran reportbug on) to see if there are emails from reportbug that are queued
and still unsent.

> You probably should save it in a temporary file and file it by mail if not.
>
> Cheers,
> Joseph
>
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 8:10 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to send reports, but they don't seem to appear in tracker.
> > Is it possible to make report warn if there are some undelivered
> > reports and how to process them?
> >
> > Please, CC.

>From the point of view of reportbug (or any program that sends email), it
passes mail to the local MTA [Mail Transfer Agent] expecting that the MTA will
deliver it, because that's what MTAs do.

The problem is that a default MTA installation (Exim4 for example) usually
cannot deliver email without configuration specific to you, such as forward
mail to a more authoritative MTA (e.g. through your normal email provider) on
the internet via SMTP AUTH.  So if the local MTA hasn't been configured to
forward mail to the outside world, then any mail that gets sent to it that is
meant for the outside world gets "stuck" -- silently.  :-(  Notifications of
email getting stuck are sent to who is set to get the email for the root user,
but it's then common that nobody looks at that email.  [This issue gets
discussed periodically, and I haven't yet heard a viable solution for it other
than "have someone look at the mail that goes to the root user".]

  -- Chris

--

Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us