Re: Is there any chance that build servers can talk to upstream (Re: itk and big endian arcitectures)

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 6:05 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:

> is there any chance that build servers can talk to upstream - perhaps
> by evaluating according fields in debian/upstream/metadata?

Debian build servers only look at the Architecture field in
debian/control in Debian source packages and the
Packages-arch-specific file:

https://wiki.debian.org/PackagesArchSpecific
https://buildd.debian.org/quinn-diff/Packages-arch-specific

> On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 04:49:56PM -0500, Paul Novotny wrote:
>> Steve,
>>
>> I noticed that itk is only being built on i386 and amd64 at the moment.
>> I haven't been keeping up with itk in debian for a bit, but is this due
>> to the failures we were seeing on big endian machines last summer?

I don't see any source package in Debian by the name of itk, perhaps
you mean insighttoolkit or insighttoolkit4?

>> Can we turn on the other architectures to get an idea of what issues
>> still remain?

Setting the Debian architecture field correctly is the responsibility
of the maintainer of the Debian package (the Debian med team in this
case). Turning on new architectures for code that was previously not
portable is probably only a good idea when there is an extensive test
suite or the code has been verified to build and work on the Debian
porterboxes.

https://db.debian.org/machines.cgi

>> I mentioned this in the google hangout a couple days ago when we were
>> talking about python wrapping. Matt McCormick at Kitware mentioned the
>> best way to get issues on their radar is to get build results on their
>> dashboard. I just started a build on Yaroslav's sparc machine that
>> should post results on the dashboard. Are there other things I could do?
>> Is it possible to get debian build servers talking to CDash?

The Debian sparc port is poorly maintained and is planned to be
removed from the next Debian release unless someone cares about it
enough to improve it. So there is probably no point caring about
builds on the Debian sparc architecture.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/01/msg00008.html

If you want to subscribe to build failures for Debian architectures,
put your mail in the form at the bottom left of this page, choose
opts, press go and select just the buildd option.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/insighttoolkit4.html

Packages building on Debian buildds are not allowed to contact the
Internet during builds so the best you can get right now is
subscribing to the build failure mails. There is a plan for a
fedmsg/AMQP messaging system for Debian related events but that isn't
in production yet.

--
bye,
pabs