Re: full archive rebuilds with package comparison?

Le Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 01:03:28AM +0100, Andreas Beckmann a écrit :

> After building a source package successfully, a binary debdiff should be
> done with the binary packages currently in the archive.
> (What else could be done with the packages? Maybe a lintian run.)
>
> I see three groups of differences that may be encountered by doing debdiffs:
>
> * changes in the file list
>   - hmm, well, this needs to be examined carefully
> * changes in the dependencies
>   - removal/addition of packages in Pre-Depends/Depends/Recommends/Suggests
>   - while I see this may happen in sid due to ongoing transitions, it
>     should not happen elsewhere and needs to be carefully analyzed if
>     on non-sid.
> * tightening of dependency versioning
>   - if a version just gets tightened after rebuilding against some more
> recent dependency, this can probably be ignored
> * other changes of dependency versioning should be analyzed manually, too

Hi Andreas,

alternatively to a binary debdiff, diffing the build logs can produce a
similar information if these logs are made by sbuild.  This is what I
do manually for some of my packages, before uploading.

The trick is that the build logs of the uploaded package are not stored
by Debian.  For source packages managed in Git repositories, I store the
logs in a branch, so that diffing with previous ones is easy.

    http://charles.plessy.org/Debian/debiâneries/tout-dans-git/

For other source packages, I send the build logs to our packaging mailing list,
but honestly, I do not retreive and diff them at the next upload (too
bothering).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy