Re: full archive rebuilds with package comparison?

On 24/01/14 at 01:03 +0100, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the problem discovered in http://bugs.debian.org/736426 can probably
> checked for automatically. But I don't know enough about the
> full-archive rebuilds (nor do I have time to dig into them ... as least
> as long as there are failures discovered with piuparts) to see how this
> can be accomplished (or maybe something like this is already being done?).
>
> After building a source package successfully, a binary debdiff should be
> done with the binary packages currently in the archive.
> (What else could be done with the packages? Maybe a lintian run.)

Hi,

I spent some time working on this years ago.
The main problem was that just debdiffing was raising many false
positives. For example, some documentation generation tools generate
different filenames at each execution. So a long list of ignores was
needed.

This sounds related to the reproducible builds efforts, see
https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds.

> I might volunteer for analyzing debdiffs and logfiles ...

I think that the first step is to get a debdiff+ignores working reliably
on a subset of the archive, to reduce the manual work a bit. Actually,
a good way to start working on that is to rebuild packages twice in the
same environment, and see what kind of differences show up.

Lucas