PTS soap interface

Hello,

I'm a gsoc 2013 student and my project is the debian android app [1]. The app will have to utilize a pts and bts interface to get info about maintainers, packages, bugs etc and implement the usecases described here [2] and more. The issue I was worried about is that the existing soap interface for these services is quite disfunctional in android. Meaning that:
a) It doesn't follow the constraints of mobile computing (both in size of transmitted data and in the processing it needs afterwards)
b) The "easiest" way to use soap in android is with something like kSoap2 [3] which adds to the maintenance as an extra lib and generally complicates the development a lot.

So I was wondering if there is a possibility of adding a simple REST api as an extra layer. Something like this https://github.com/paultag/deapi that responds with json and needs only http get/post to work. I know of course that the api is open to patches from other people as well (me included) but it would take me really big amounts of time to learn how it works and adjust it and I could use that time in the gsoc project itself.

Best regards,
Paul

p.s. If you have other ideas/use cases about the debian android app mail me and I'll add them. :)

[1]: http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2013/StudentApplications/PawelSarbinowski
[2]: https://github.com/uberspot/DebianDroid
[3]: http://ksoap2.sourceforge.net/