[DEP 12] Mapping debian/upstream fields to established formats or ontologies.

Le Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 07:58:51PM +0100, Guillem Jover a écrit :

> If the intention is for this to possibly be adopted by upstreams
> themselves so that they can maintain and ship them in their releases,
> then the current format does not seem appropriate when there are
> existing proposals around, for example DOAP. Working with the
> existing solutions/standards instead of creating yet another one
> and trying to extend them if they have current deficiencies would
> seem more helpful overall than creating more divergence.

Hi again; thank you for your comments !

this touches to the core of DEP 12.  I really do not want to invent yet another
ontology.  On the other hand, it looks like the only way to formally declare
relations to other ontologies is to use formats that I would not expect most
package maintainers to adopt and write by hand without template, like RDF in
XML, Turtle, N-triples, etc.

So my goal with DEP 12 is to work around this problem by moving these relations
in the DEP 12 spec.  For instance, the Name and Homepage fields follow DOAP
(http://usefulinc.com/doap/).  The Reference field's subfields follow BibTeX
(http://www.bibtex.org/Format) , etc.  If somebody writes a converter from YAML
to a popular semantic web format, and this gets used, we win.  If this is
forked to bootstrap a successful cross-distro project, we win.   But I do not
think that we can start with a complex format.

So what I would be exited to see happen, would be that for other fields than
Reference and the trivial overlaps with DOAP, people would propose other
bridges to other ontologies, or, recognising a need existing in Debian (like
the Donation field), would propose the addition of this kind of field to an
existing ontology and report the result.

In summary, I would consider DEP 12 completed when a reasonnable number
of fields listed in http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata#Fields can
be mapped to well-established ontologies.

Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan