Re: DEP 12: Per-package machine-readable metadata about Upstream

The idea in general (providing more metadata about our upstreams) is a good one.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Charles Plessy wrote:

>  The source package control files and some of their derivatives are currently
>  used to document the URL of the home page of the work that is packaged
>  ("upstream").  However, this approach is hard to extend to other information
>  describing upstream, because the size of the control files has to be limited
>  according to the limited power of some systems running Debian.

This DEP-12 seems to exist because of this assumption. Is it true that
everything from debian/control must end up in the Packages files?

>  We propose a new file in the source packages, debian/upstream, formatted
>  in YAML to hold arbitrary information about upstream, for instance the

Is there any reason you didn't choose a deb822 based format?

>  The scope of this DEP is the format of the debian/upstream file, and the
>  specification of the most frequent fields.  The flow of information from the
>  source packages to data providers such as the UDD are is specified here.
>  Please refer to http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata for more information
>  on that subject.

Some further thoughts:

debian/upstream is to contain a Homepage, should we move the Homepage
from debian/control to debian/upstream and thus out of Packages?

Can we have the Debian mirrors contain an Upstreams file in addition
to Packages/Sources?

DEP-11 is also about upstream metadata, but about upstream metadata
that is extracted from binary packages. It might be interesting to
harmonise these two DEPs and the effect they will have on the archive.
For example they both introduce another mechanism to point at the
upstream homepage.

http://wiki.debian.org/AppStreamDebianProposal

--
bye,