Re: [GSoC 2013] PTS rewrite in Django

Hi,

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013, Apoorv Upreti wrote:
> I've put up my application on the wiki:
> http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2013/StudentApplications/ApoorvUpreti
> Any comments, criticisms or suggestions would be most helpful.

It looks like a solid proposal, good work!

A few comments:

- “(Optional, if time permits) Creating a portal where subscribers can
  register and add/delete subscriptions”

  => to me this part is not optional at all, we have already have a
  limited web subscription form and we need to keep that feature,
  and rewriting it in a way that makes sense (i.e. using django's auth
  mechanism to allow direct subscriptions without going through an email
  challenge)

- if you really want to deploy in september, you have to build confidence
  in the new infrastructure by making it available to users much sooner,
  so that they can use it while you're still working on it. A weekly
  iteration seems a good idea (we can arrange something for the hosting).
  Thus you need to consider deployment strategies much earlier. (And I
  would suggest to provide a Debian package to make it easy to deploy the
  code.)

- the REST API is nice but I would not prioritize it too much... ok, to
  bring it on par with what the current SOAP interface does, but we
  won't add subscription management via OAuth or anything like that at the
  start of the project. That would be a new feature and it's best kept for
  the end.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/