Re: Some issues with the RDF export

Torsdag 30 august 2012 15:45, skrev Olivier Berger:
> It could be done like this, but on the other hand, the URI is
> dereferenceable as RDF/XML to retrieve the RDF document... and the
> "packaging project" behind every source package isn't so much an
> abstract thing ?

Mmmmm, I admit that it isn't as straightforward as many other cases...

> I'm not so sure what's the best option.

I think it doesn't hurt to add a hash. It'll still dereference as normal.

> > The same goes for all the other mentions of admssw:SoftwareProject in
> > the document.
>
> Other SoftwareProject (upstream projects) are already fragment-ed :

Hmmm, the launchpad link too...? See:
<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/librdf-linkeddata-perl>
    a admssw:SoftwareProject;

> > 2) DOAP has a doap:shortdesc property. I suggest using that for the
> > current description, and perhaps use doap:description for the full
> > description?
>
> We could, but my prority was to implement ADMS.SW 1.0, which is
> implemented using doap:description.

Aha!

> admssw:SoftwareProject is a subClass of doap:Project, so nothing forbids
> having both... so if I can get the full description from the XSLT
> stylesheet used by the PTS, I could add doap:shortdesc (not sure if it
> is available though).

That'd be really nice, but it seems it isn't there...

> > 4) Finally, to really make it linked data, it would be cool to add
> > links to e.g. upstream where it exists. For all the Perl packages,
> > there exists URIs for everything on CPAN. The upstream URI of this
> > package is
> >
> > http://purl.org/NET/cpan-uri/dist/RDF-LinkedData/project
>
> Great :-)
>
> OK, so for RDF::Trine, it's :
> http://purl.org/NET/cpan-uri/dist/RDF-Trine/project

Yup!

Also, it used to be able to a Changes.ttl, but we've recently departed from
that. That allows us to include any RDF.

> Very interesting. I wonder if ADMS.SW is in the radar of the creator of
> this (are you ?)...

It is Toby Inkster's project, so I'm CCing him.

> There are also Apache DOAP files (of which I couldn't match URLs of
> homepages), and Gnome ones (currently trying to see if matches
> apply). Clearly, promoting DOAP and its publishing is something
> important, IMHO. I've worked on adding DOAP/ADMS.SW generation for
> FusionForge too.

Cool!

> > Some heuristics could probably done to add this, but perhaps a field in
> > the package description would be better?
>
> Yes, that's clearly one of the goals to be able to do that, but
> unfortunately, we don't necessarily have such information in the
> debian/control files yet, so the PTS may not know, at least in the
> context where I'm generating the current RDF files.
>
> I'd like to investigate possible ways on doing such interlinking with
> all interested parties.
>
> This needs to be discussed together with other upstream metadata
> collection, in line with work already started like :
> http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata

Right, very nice! I agree with you that RDF should be used rather than
YAML :-)

> We just have to find a way to discuss that with the different Debian
> contributors interested (and probably other parties, like upstream
> projects).
>
> I'd welcome all sugestions on how to proceed (some previous discussions
> have happened on -project or -devel lists... I'm not sure where to
> continue...).

Yeah, I don't know either, and I guess we should be sure of an appropriate
forum before we go too far into the details. :-)

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
PhD Research Fellow, University of Oslo, Norway