Re: Orphaning php-codesniffer, then take it over by the PHP PEAR team

On 12-05-31 at 09:22am, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On 05/30/2012 11:11 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> It is better to have a well maintained package than to ait for
> somebody who collected a number of NMUs and doesn't react to bug
> reports for years.

I perfectly agree.

But it is better to have responsibly maintained packages having newest
upstream code packaged at any cost.

...and I find both of our comparisons above too simplistic!

On 12-05-31 at 09:22am, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On 05/30/2012 11:11 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > I am not at all surprised that this is yet another sponsored package
> > bit-rotting. Personally I never liked how we allow maintainer to be
> > someone not in Debian: There is too great a risk of drive-by
> > contributions :-(
>
> You and a lot of others fail to realize that the *SPONSOR* is
> responsible for the package.

Huh?!?

What does "Maintainer:" mean if not the entity being responsible for,
well, maintaining?!?

> If the maintainer fails to keep the package in a useful shape it is
> the sponsor's responsibility to do so. And last but not least it
> should be the sponsor's decision to orphan a package if the maintainer
> is MIA or not doing his job properly. It is also the sponsors
> responsibility to try to figure out if a maintainer is willing to do
> his job longer than one upload before sponsoring a package at all.

I have heard before the argument of the sponsor having responsibility,
but in reality I have *never* heard of sponsors actually being held
responsible for anything but the concrete upload of a specific packaging
release.

...which leads to my concern for high risk of drive-by contributions!

> > ...but we should not improve quality of packages by relaxing the
> > respect of the maintainer. We should hold maintainers responsible to
> > their actions - and that is only really possible to do with "social
> > pride" which is lacking when maintainer is outside of Debian.
>
> Yet another job for the sponsor.

How can sponsor help create social pride (or social pressure if doing a
lousy job)?

 - Jonas