Re: Orphaning php-codesniffer, then take it over by the PHP PEAR team

On 12-05-30 at 11:30am, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> We aren't kicking him, we want to have the package team maintained.
> He's fine to come and join!

You want to play by your rules (file), not his. That's kicking to me.

> This doesn't really qualify for an NMU, nor does the upgrade to the
> latest upstream version.

*nothing* qualifies for a hijacking.

With hijacking I mean disrespectful takeover.

Either respect maintainership by only NMUing, or respectfully resolve
with the Debian community that the current maintainer is unfit for the
task.  You do the latter but instead of the normal use of MIA tracking
you use Debian freeze as argument for swift takeover. I find it not
respectful to rush processing like that!

I am not at all surprised that this is yet another sponsored package
bit-rotting. Personally I never liked how we allow maintainer to be
someone not in Debian: There is too great a risk of drive-by
contributions :-(

...but we should not improve quality of packages by relaxing the respect
of the maintainer. We should hold maintainers responsible to their
actions - and that is only really possible to do with "social pride"
which is lacking when maintainer is outside of Debian.

 - Jonas