Re: Description-less packages file

[Trying to reach SRM via this list.  To get the history of this thread
 please see
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2012/02/msg00009.html ]

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 10:44:49PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:

> >> You have them only for suites that have this feature enabled. These are
> >> all where the following query hits (in projectb):
> >> projectb=> select suite_name from suite where include_long_description is false;
> >>         suite_name
> >> --------------------------
> >>  unstable
> >>  proposed-updates
> >>  testing-proposed-updates
> >>  experimental
> >>  testing
>
> >> Your best bet is to wait until after next release, where it will reach
> >> stable too.
>
> > That's a bit unfortunate because currently UDD is not featuring *any*
> > long_descriptions at all and I guess the problem report on
> > debian-devel[1] is connected to this (I have no idea how
> > packages.debian.org works but it seems probable to me, that this is
> > connected).  So with the current state of input files which are
> > Packages.gz and Translations* which are in an inconsistent state for
> > different releases we are certainly breaking applications using data
> > from UDD.
> > There are three ways to circumvent this:
> >    1. Provide the missing information in the Packages.gz files
> >       anyway.  Joerg, I have no idea how compley to implement
> >       this might be or what chances to break something might
> >       exist.
> >    2. We move English translations from Translation-en.bz2
> >       to the packages table making sure that all existing UDD
> >       applications will work immediately again.
> >    3. We drop long_description field from packages table now
> >       and *calculate* the md5 sums from long_escription for those
> >       releases where it is missing and keep all long_descriptions
> >       inside the ddtp table.
>
> Its a 100% sure that 1 wont happen for Lenny. That one is going away
> pretty soon.
> I would give it a 5% chance to happen for Squeeze. But the actual people
> you want to discuss a change like that with are the SRMs. Not me.

Could somebody from the release team please give a statement whether
there is any chance to inject description_md5 fields into the packages
files from Squeeze (and Wheezy).

> And the state is not "inconsistent", its just on a move from old to
> new...

I do not see any need to debate the wording - I hope it somehow becomes
clear that we in some way need to provide the relevant data in a
consistent way inside UDD.

> (Oh, and no, packages.d.o is NOT using UDD)

Thanks for the clarification.

> Ubuntu: An ancient african word meaning "I can't configure Debian"

LOL.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--