Re: DEP-2: Debian Package Maintenance Hub

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012, Charles Plessy wrote:
>  - It would be great to integrate it with Debian Pure Blends, so that
>    a maintainer knows that his package is part of one of them.

Why not but this is not something that needs to be part of the early
design.

>  - I like the current workflow to decide who is maintainer: it is defined
>    by the last person who uploaded the package.  This our do-o-cracy.
>    For unmaintained package, we have the [O] bugs in the WNPP pseudo-package.
>    If the canonical place for information is the Hub, who will decide who
>    is maintainer ?

I don't expect any change here. The maintainer is the maintainer, and the
next maintainer is whoever has been approved by the former maintainer when
we have a package that was not abandoned but properly handed over.

Otherwise it's whoever claimed the package first and in case of big
problems we have the tech-ctte to intervene.

But I truly hope this infrastructure will continue to reduce the
territoriality that has been seen in the past and will continue to
encourage collaboration.

>    I think that the source package, and its VCS, are the
>    most appropriate canonical place for such information.  Now that we
>    have “team uploads”, there is less needed to be listed in the Uploaders
>    field for occasional help, so the best I think is to use this field
>    to record who is responsible, and the Maintainer field to record where
>    the information is sent.  The Hub you propose will facilitate this a lot.

Yes.

>  - <package>@packages.debian.org is a special user for BTS usertags.
>    It would be great to integrate these settings in the Hub, and
>    perhaps provide some facilities to packaging teams for managing
>    these settings globally.

I'm not sure I understand you. Do you want a web interface to manage BTS
usertags?

>  - If the Hub could provide a feed in containing all the commits from one's
>    team, plus all the commits from his packages, that could be very useful.
>    VCS commit messages are becoming an integral part of the information flow in
>    package development.  But on the other hand, I spend more and more time
>    deleting commit messages that I do not read.  As an example, I have packages in
>    the Debian Med and Debian Perl and Science repositories, but I do not want to
>    read all the commits of the Debian Perl and Science team, in which my
>    participation is far lower than in the Debian Med team.

Good point. Note that if you properly setup the PTS integration with your
repositories, you'd already have this today.

I read the commits of the developers-reference but not all the other of
the debian-doc SVN repository. And I get them via the PTS.

> Lastly, perhaps the DEP can discuss brifely why a new development is necessary,
> compared to using or extending existing tools, such as Launchpad or other
> forges.

Do you feel like suggesting a text for this? To me it seems obvious that
there's not much in common with Launchpad or a forge and that we're
building an infrastructure tailored to the very specific use case of the
Debian project.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer