Re: Amazon AWS credits for Debian QA work; help needed!

[ Michael: look for "SPI" in the text; topic: do we have a Debian/SPI
  credit card we could use? ]

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 10:11:28AM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> I can now confirm that we were awarded $10,000 from Amazon, to use on
> AWS. (Many thanks to everyone who made it possible!)

Great!  Have you asked if they want us to advertise this kind offer in
any way? (blog post, press release, etc.)  We clearly should acknowledge
this publicly, and we might take that as a chance to attract volunteers
interesting in working on the code part.

> Regarding the account set-up on Amazon AWS, I propose to use a
> cloud@qa.debian.org email alias, so that I'm out of the critical path
> (bus factor, etc).

Full ACK. Please request also a mail archive for it readable to the
group "qa". (I'm assuming here that on the mail account might transit
sensitive information; if it's not the case, that alias could also
simply redirect to debian-qa@lists.d.o.)

> Now, there's one problem: a credit card number is required to create the
> account. It will only be charged if we spend all our credits without
> noticing, or if someone reserves resources that we are not allowed to
> reserve with this voucher (the list of such cases is very limited).
> I see two solutions here:
> - Debian has a credit card we can use for that.

Not that I'm aware of. We've had similar needs in the past, but never
found a solution, IIRC. I'm Cc:-ing Michael Schultheiss, as SPI
treasurer for confirmation and/or on-the-fly (alternative?) solutions.

> - I use my own, but since the goal is to open that account to others,
>   I'd prefer to have a statement from the DPL saying "if there's a
>   fuck-up and you end-up being billed for Debian's use of AWS, you will
>   get reimbursed out of Debian funds."
>
> Dear DPL, could you comment on the above?

I'd have no problem in providing such a statement.  *But* I don't think
we should eagerly risk "wasting" Debian money this way. It would be nice
to ask our Amazon contacts if they can configure the account so that it
automatically stops at the 10'000$ thresholds. I'm sure they'll
understand this need of ours.

Even if the above won't be possible, my willingness to provide you with
the statement you asked remains.

> I did not receive any offer for that. I would be able to do it myself,
> but probably not before december.

Hint, hint! :)

Cheers.