Re: removing old automake versions from Debian?

* Paul Wise (pabs@debian.org) wrote:
> Hi Eric, QA folks,
>
> It seems that automake1.4 no longer has any reverse (build-)deps and we
> are at the start of the wheezy cycle, so now might be a good time to
> remove it. If you agree, please file a removal request.

There's a few debian packages depending on it still. I'm a bit
hesitant to remove it since old software might depend on its quirks.

> automake1.7 still has 30 source packages with build-deps on it. Seems to
> me that removing it is quite achievable in the wheezy cycle.

I'm starting the process of removing it now.

> automake1.9 has 2 binary packages with deps on it and 142 source
> packages with build-deps on it. Removing this is probably also
> achievable within the wheezy cycle.

I'll see how the automake1.7 removal goes. I'd like to remove this one
too.

> automake1.10 has only 37 source packages with build-deps on it, so it
> could also be removed. On the other hand it is a relatively recent
> release so various upstream developers running testing might be relying
> on it.

Yeah, I'm not worried about removing it this release.

--
Eric Dorland <eric@kuroneko.ca>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: hooty@jabber.com