Re: Amazon AWS credits for Debian QA work; help needed!

Le Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 10:11:28AM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :

> On 23/10/11 at 14:29 +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > At this point, I'm fairly confident that we will get sponsored by Amazon
> > to be able to run those tests on the AWS Cloud. I don't have the exact
> > amount yet, but it's likely that we get enough credits to run ~60 full
> > archive rebuilds. So it might not be limited to what I'm currently
> > doing, but could be extended to other tests (installation testing,
> > execution of code analysis tools, rebuilds in special environments,
> > etc).
>
> I can now confirm that we were awarded $10,000 from Amazon, to use on
> AWS. (Many thanks to everyone who made it possible!)

Hello Lucas,

this is amzing.  I would like to join my thanks to you and everybody who worked
on this award.

I have been working on using Debian-Installer to prepare super-clean machine
images for Amazon-compatible clouds, but unfortunately with not so much
success.  See the following bugs to see details about where I block (the
partitionning).

  http://bugs.debian.org/637784
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-base/+bug/862903

I welcome your or others comments about my approach.

I hope that with this or as co-maintainer of the euca2ools package I can help
you on the archive rebuilds project.  Or with other contributions ?  But for
the moment my experience with cloud computing is limited to read D-I partman
logs on micro-instances…

By the way, I am very curious about the calculations you made to estimate 60
full rebuilds to 10,000 dollars.  I would be very interested to read it if you
can share it.

Have a nice day, and thanks again to you, “everybody who made it possible”, and
also to Grid'5000 for the previous rebuilds, because you just gave an
interesting estimate of how much we would have had to pay to do rebuilds
without their support.

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan