Re: Load on udd.d.o

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 05:17:19PM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> The other problem is that ever since the debconf and debian accounts got
> merged, we have no clue whatsoever about how much money we actually have for
> debian and for hardware.

This should not be your problem.

The interface for spending Debian money is the DPL, just tell him/her
that you need to buy something and say how much it will cost. It is then
up to the DPL to decide whether Debian has enough money for that or not,
taking into account all future expected expenses (DebConf included), and
discussing it with the community (DebConf organizers included) if
needed.

You seem to be assuming that, in the past, looking at Debian's balance
(and excluding DebConf balance from it) was enough to quantify how much
money were available to buy hardware. That assumption was flawed in its
own right also before the DebConf/Debian merge, because there might be
other non-hardware expenses you were not aware of.  An important example
of that are sprints; one year of sprints can easily dominate hardware
expenses or not, depending on the year.

Cheers.