Re: Papercuts

Hi Ferdi,

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 12:09:41PM +0200, Ferdinand Thommes wrote:
> a few days ago i stumbled over a feature in a german online mag on Ubuntu
> Papercuts. Ubuntu Wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PaperCut
> I think this could be a way for Debian to attract more users to bug triaging
> and bug fixing. The project lives in Launchpad at:
> https://launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts and seems to be working quite well. The
> question is if and how this could be transported to Debian as well.

I like the idea. As we usually concentrate on RC bugs, they actually
have a point. The tiny usability bugs often are what drive us crazy with
certain GUIs. An effort to get those bugs fixed would be great. Let's
not forget that GUIs are what users see everyday, not the hard to fix,
maybe RC-buggy code below them.

> We, at sidux, as we do not have our own bugtracker, get such easy-to-fix
> usability bugs a lot on our forums. Unfortunately we lack the manpower to file
> these bugs correctly. We resort to do this only for more severe bugs we get
> reports on. So the papercut idea grew on me for a few days and i find it more
> and more appealing. I would also be interested in helping set up something
> similar. Any ideas on this?

This would need some kind of infrastructure in Debian then. A team that
would sort such bugs and decides whether one is a papercut or not would
be perfect. I'm thinking of minor bugs with usertags, like user: qa.d.o,
tag: papercut or so. If the concept flies, one could even think of
having reportbug{,-ng} show 'papercut' as a special severity which would
then be minor plus the usertag.

What I'm trying to say: we have the technic, let's not overcomplicate
but try it. Any thoughts on that?

Hauke

--
 .''`.   Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org>               www.jhr-online.de