Re: Too much disruptive NMUs

  Hi Lucas,

  [Though not very active, I'm subscribed to QA ;-)]

On Sun, 23 May 2010 19:22:07 +0200
Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:

> On 23/05/10 at 12:32 +0200, Ricardo Mones wrote:

> > > So? NMUs are not only for serious bugs.
> >
> >   Then, as Ana said, the developers reference should be changed because
> >   that's just the opposite of the first point in 5.11.1 "When and how to
> > do an NMU": «Does your NMU really fix bugs? Fixing cosmetic issues or
> >   changing the packaging style in NMUs is discouraged.»
>
> I think that this should be read as "NMUIng when your only changes are
> cosmetic issues is discouraged". If you are doing an NMU anyway (to fix
> a real bug), I don't think that it should be discouraged to fix other
> small issues at the same time, if those changes are reasonable.

  At this moment those small issues (if we take the original posting
  examples) are not issues at all but packaging preferences and
  lintian I/W tags (most of them). While is perfect to have them cleared, I
  think a lot of active maintainers would complain if you change that when
  fixing a bug in NMU, because that's not the point of a NMU. Only inactive
  don't because they don't really care about the package. That should be
  telling them it's the hour of taking care or orphaning the package, and so
  they should be informed. The NMU way, even if done correctly, only hides
  the real problem here.

  regards,
--
 Ricardo Mones