Re: does /var/games have to be deleted on purge? (if it's empty..)

Hi,

On Montag, 4. Januar 2010, Russ Allbery wrote:
> There are several arguments that say that such data shouldn't be deleted
> on purge.  I don't know how persuasive they are.

I'll answer them in reverse order :-)

> * Whether it makes sense given Debian semantics or not, users just don't
>   expect removing packages to, from their perspective, destroy data.
>   Other distributions don't seem to do this.

We are talking about "purging", not "removal", thus I consider this argument
invalid. I expect "purge" to remove all traces of a package from the system.

> * It's sometimes necessary to purge a package and reinstall it to fix some
>   weird problem, or if not necessary at least expedient.  For example, if
>   one accidentally deletes a configuration file, one of the faster ways to
>   get the original configuration file shipped with the package back is to
>   purge and reinstall the package.  It saves unpacking the package
>   somewhere and manually copying out the configuration file.  If purging
>   the package deletes databases, this removes that tactic as an option.

Having a working backup+restore in place is probably a way better tactic :-) I
don't see how such a "workaround" should justify keeping cruft on millions of
properly administrated systems.

> * The data is not created by the package, in the sense that it's not
>   created automatically by package installation.  It's created by the
>   user's use of the package and is the user's data.  It's not clear that
>   the mysql-server package, for instance, owns all the data in the default
>   database location and has the right to be purging it.

Basically see my answers to previous two arguments. IMHO purging should do
what it's designed to do. If a package has data worth saving, IMHO one
shouldnt use purge or use a backup.

regards,
	Holger