Re: Step out of MIA team

[ explicit Cc since I don't know whether you were following this list
  for other topics than MIA ]

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 12:13:48AM +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> I'm stepping out of MIA team: I had enough of all the harsh and
> aggressive replies from people that should simply get kicked out of
> the project.

Thanks for all the work (apparently ungrateful) you poured into MIA.

Given that you were, as far as I know, the only active person in the
team, can you please comment on who (if anyone) remains and/or has
stepped into the team replacing you?  Of course it is not your duty to
find a replacement, but I believe it would help all of us knowing, form
hands-on experience, what is the situation of the team after your
departure.

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:29:38AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > I don't suggest nor encourage anyone to join the MIA team: something
> > should be done first to protect ourselves from aggressive people only
> > being able to attack and contribute nothing to the project. Instead,
> > get zack's proposal implement (if it will be a success).
>
> If I remember right you are refering to some (semi)automatical procedure
> which warns / kicks lazy maintainers.  Yes, I was in favour of this and
> I would recommend to implement it.

Indeed, the original proposal is at [1], while the last status update is
at [2]. AFAIK it is being implemented by DAM; I believe we will be
hearing news about that RSN.

  [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2009/07/msg00067.html
  [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2009/08/msg00018.html

I also take the chance to comment here on a passage from Sandro's blog
post on his departure from the MIA team [3]:

Sandro Tosi wrote:
> There is a proposal, from zack, to restructure how MIA works (another
> bright example of collaboration...): when will it be implemented?
> nobody knows. will it help? I don't think so (much).

As I've already discussed in the past [4], I don't see that proposal
replacing MIA, but rather complementing it. In principle, the proposal
is nothing different than WAT as we currently have: it will simply make
that automatic, rather than manual. That change is meant to help
automate boring task that can be automated and let manual work be
focused where it is really needed.

Regarding the MIA team, when is it the case? Well, for instance for all
non-DD maintainers (both DMs and sponsored maintainers), my proposal do
not apply to them. In fact, MIA will still be needed also for DDs,
because 2 years are too long a period for leaving a package without a
maintainer. I do see the need of MIA to fill the gap for relevant, and
de facto orphaned packages.  So, if Sandro was the only active MIA team
member, we (as in QA) should better set up a call for help for the role.

Finally, even if in my vision that proposal had very little to do with
MIA, I've already apologized (both in private and publicly [4]) for not
having contacted you _before_ advancing the proposal, but still you seem
to be upset about that. I'm truly sorry about that, I hope it had a
little role in your decision to quit the MIA team, but I stop there: I
cannot change the past.

Cheers.

  [3] http://sandrotosi.blogspot.com/2009/11/goodbye-mia-team.html
  [4] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2009/08/msg00024.html