Re-thinking Debian membership - take #1: inactivity - status update

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 06:03:41PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> This proposal received a lot of interest back then, but in the end
> went nowhere. I think we should resurrect it and put into use at
> least some of its parts. In particular, the part about "expiration
> of DD rights" received only minor criticisms; criticisms which I've
> tried to address.

Here is a status update.

My reading of the discussion which followed the initial proposal is
that we have consensus on the general idea; yet, there are small
divergences on some details (e.g., 1 year vs 2 year, when/if
notifying, ...).

Since, AFAIR, DAM has not commented in the thread, in the last days I
contacted a DAM representative (Joerg Jaspert) in private to seek
comments on the idea. The bottom line is that DAM is fine with the
proposed changes and is willing to replace (manual) WAT runs [2] with
an automatic mechanism like the one we discussed.  I also pinged DSA,
which reasonably considers this discussion none of its business and
will happily implement whatever the project and DAM decide on the
matter.

According to constitution and delegation, DAM is already fully
empowered to implement the proposed changes and also has the freedom
to decide upon the details. Hence, I personally don't think we need a
vote on this issue. Once ready, DAM can announce the change via the
usual channels, possibly referencing the thread at [1] as evidence of
discussion of the issue within the project.

Of course, if some of us is in utter disagreement with the proposal
(or with the forthcoming implementation), she has the usual right to
call for a vote on a more specific proposal. Since I'm happy with the
current/forthcoming state of affairs, I will not do that.

Cheers.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2009/07/msg00067.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/07/msg00004.html