Re: Time for a new maintainer for Auctex?

Hi:

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Davide G. M. Salvetti<salve@debian.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> DB> I don't think that any of this changes my major point, which is that
> DB> the package at least seems abandoned by its maintainer(s). I would
> DB> be quite happy to be corrected on this point.
>
> Hi,
>
> please, stand corrected, as I intend to keep auctex maintenance.  Thank
> you for your offer of help, you can start by studying how the software
> is packaged and of course you are welcome to send in patches.

What are your thoughts on David's initial idea of maintaining this
package as a group? Of course it's your right to remain the maintainer
of the package, but I think you should look into how much time you are
willing to continue dedicating to auctex. It might help to recruit
some interested people (like David perhaps) and train them a bit to be
able to help out with the package.

As far as I know, you're allowed to decide how your team works. So
even if you create a group to maintain the package as a team effort,
you could still be the only person allowed to upload the package, so
you have the final say in it all.

This is open source software, and what matters at the end of the day
is the users we serve. The last thing Debian needs is unmaintained or
poorly maintained software -- I'm not accusing you of this, I just
think that all packages could benefit from additional eyes & hands.

I'm glad to see that you're not MIA, but given the number if NMUs,
working on this package as a team seems like a worthy effort --
clearly there are people other than yourself that are willing to work
on it, as evidenced by the NMUs. So why not try doing it as a team?