Re: Debconf QA BOF summary / handling of orphaned packages

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> (02/08/2009):
> This seems to be a recurring proposal. I raised it 1 year ago (IIRC,
> sorry I'm too lazy right now to look the reference) and Raphael
> Hertzog pointed out to me that way before he advanced the same
> proposal.

Sorry for that, missed it/them.

> The counter-argument I received 1 year ago is that we do not want to
> make any easier to "maintain" orphaned packages, e.g., via QA uploads.
> While I somehow understand that point of view, I still consider the
> proposal a good idea, mainly because it technically facilitates
> resurrecting the packages for the future maintainer.

Well, orphaning something because one is running out of time, and
because some packages need a lot of attention is I guess a valid
situation (hint: see the blender thread on dd@). I would personally hate
that someone has to start the packaging and the patching from scratch.

Anyway, it's probably too hot a topic for me. I guess I'll just shut up.

Mraw,
KiBi.