Re: sf.net redirector reports 500 Internal Server Error

Replying to put an end to this.

Bart Martens wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 20:33 -0500, Raphael Geissert wrote:
>> So you want merkel to download three html pages every time the redirector
>> is called?
>
> Yes, three or more.

Then better make the maintainer specify the final url in the watch file; it
would avoid the maintenance burden on the qa.d.o side.
Another reasoning explained in a different email.

>> DEHS currently has 1564 watch files that use the redirector, UEHS
>> (Ubuntu's DEHS) also got some (no way for me to tell how many), any
>> maintainer, DD, automated system might be using it.
>> Sticking with only the number of watch files in DEHS, and since the watch
>> files are checked at least every four days it would mean the redirector
>> would have to download at least 8211 pages every week, 183MBs (120KBs for
>> the three pages).
>
> No need to check all files every four days.

Four days is a sensible period of time, remember that DEHS data is expected
to be up to date when using it in other QA processes. Stale data is
useless, would annoy, or even cause side-effects (e.g. false positives.)

> Results from anyone using the redirector can be fed back to DEHS.

That's not the way DEHS works.

> Also, checking should slow down
[... more stuff that won't be implemented, since pointing to the final url
containing the files listing would be the "correct" approach ..]
> same result without actually checking every time.

>>  Only to provide a feature that most people don't need,
>
> It's about addressing the issue of "the only remaining sf mirror that
> keeps the redirector currently working".

No, what you are proposing is to address an insignificant feature request to
allow a maintainer to check files in a given download group. The way to
address the real issue is, like I've already said several times, to contact
sourceforge and reach an agreement.

>> not to mention that it would be extremely easy to break?
>
> Why would it ?

Care to look at the history of watch files and sourceforge? even the reason
behind the creating of the redirector?

[...]
>>  And if you are to do that then why you don't simply take over
>> DEHS? oh, and write the watch files four spec and implement it.
>
> I prefer to join the team and to enjoy fixing DEHS together as peers
> instead of taking over DEHS.

If you really prefer that why we never heard back from you when we told you
we preferred you to first send some patches to the ML (which was decided
after you failed to explain your real intentions in spite of the many times
we asked you, and failed to provide php code which is DEHS' language, a
patch, and a reason why we would need such a diverging change in DEHS
instead of in uscan.)

>> I once wrote a script to let watch files obtain the version information
>> from freshmeat and the kde-apps (and similar) sites which only required
>> one web page fetch, and nobody ever replied in spite of sending a couple
>> of pings on the ML and on IRC, poking people, and ... nobody ever
>> replied.
>
> Is this still a problem today ? I'm not sure why you mention this here.

I mention this because in spite of being the only way to allow watch files
to use information from those websites (contrary to the sf case) and
requiring only one request per query (contrary to the at least three
requests per query approach you propose) it was never accepted.

Regards,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Maintainer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net