Re: sf.net redirector reports 500 Internal Server Error

Bart Martens wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 02:47:58PM -0500, Raphael Geissert wrote:
>> Daniel Leidert wrote:
[...]
>> > Using uscan on the command line works.
>>
>> Only if it is from devscripts 2.10.31 or greater (lenny was released
>> with .35), which is smarter when redirected (required by the only
>> sourceforge mirror that keeps the redirector working.)
>
> I understand that using one mirror directly is a temporary approach that
> should be replaced by something going via the sourceforge mirror-selection
> system.

That's not possible unless you reach an agreement with SF.

> This can be solved for debian/watch files using
> http://sf.net/<projectname>/<filenamebase>-(.*)\.tar\.gz and similar, by
> enhancing the sf.net redirector with the following algorithm:

Patches welcome

> - Access http://sourceforge.net/projects/<projectname>
>   Parse the html to find the value of the group_id.
> - Access http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=...
>   Parse the html to find the values of the package_id's.
> - For each package_id:
>   - Access
>   http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=...&package_id=...
>     Parse the html to verify whether it contains files matching
>     the pattern <filenamebase>-(.*)\.tar\.gz.

So you want merkel to download three html pages every time the redirector is
called?

DEHS currently has 1564 watch files that use the redirector, UEHS (Ubuntu's
DEHS) also got some (no way for me to tell how many), any maintainer, DD,
automated system might be using it.
Sticking with only the number of watch files in DEHS, and since the watch
files are checked at least every four days it would mean the redirector
would have to download at least 8211 pages every week, 183MBs (120KBs for
the three pages). Only to provide a feature that most people don't need,
not to mention that it would be extremely easy to break?

>   - If it does contain files matching, then find the filename with the
>     highest version number.  This is a preliminary result.
> - After processing all package_id's, select the preliminary result with
> the
>   highest version number.  This is the final result.
>
> So far what to do to make the existing debian/watch files continue to work
> without depending on the only sf.net mirror that keeps the redirector
> currently working.
>
> Later on, a nice-to-have would be support for specifying a package_id in
> debian/watch, so that the searching for the newest upstream release can be
> limited to only one sf.net package within the sf.net group, instead of all
> packages in the group.

If you really want that then please provide the necessary patches and stay
tuned on the watch files failures so that you fix the redirector every time
it breaks. And if you are to do that then why you don't simply take over
DEHS? oh, and write the watch files four spec and implement it.

Look, I hate being sarcastic, but you are obviously talking and assuming
without knowing the real situation. If it was any simple, as you are
putting it, somebody or I would have done it long time ago.

I once wrote a script to let watch files obtain the version information from
freshmeat and the kde-apps (and similar) sites which only required one web
page fetch, and nobody ever replied in spite of sending a couple of pings
on the ML and on IRC, poking people, and ... nobody ever replied. Feel free
to do whatever you want, if you actually do anything.

P.S. I read the mailing list, so please respect the CoC and stop sending me
copies of your replies. And don't expect me to reply.

Regards,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Maintainer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net