Re: Request to adopt txt2tags

Sandro Tosi escreveu:
> Hello Eder

Dear Mr. Tosi,

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 06:38, Eder L. Marques <eder@edermarques.net> wrote:
>> On 25 Fev, 20 days ago, I sent an offer of co-maintenance and help to the bugs
>> #434547 [1], #451341 [2] and #492668.

>> Again, I didn't have any answer from the maintainer.

> I contacted Christian for other personal matters, and asked about the
> situation of txt2tags (and in general of his involvement in packaging)
> and he said that is a package he would love to keep maintaining (so no
> orphaning) but the time constraints are really twisting him.

Sounds really strange to someone that use the word "love", because even the
upstream could contact Christian in the last two years.

But I am not here to judge anyone, especially someone doing voluntary work.

> I suggested a co-maintainership (and using mentors.debian.net as a way
> to obtain a sponsor, if Christian is busy and can't do it) and he
> didn't reply.

I already maintaining a package (funcoeszz, from the same upstream of txt2tags)
in Debian. I can ask some developers to update for me, without use m.d.n (that
IMHO is doesn't work).

> Anyhow, since I think that would be a rather "happy" evolution, my
> suggestion to you is to prepare an updated package, with Christian
> still as maintainer and you listed in Uploaders, that contains all the
> fixed and improvements you see fit.

I already prepared a package. In fact, my package are listed in the upstream
download site, because Debian didn't provide updated packages in the last four
years.

I don't care if I will be the Maintainer or not, I am just trying to help a
friend (the upstream) and the txt2tags users to have updated packages, without
bugs.

But sadly, I am seeing that is too hard to do that in the Debian way. :(

> Then please try to reping Christian (via bugs and personal emails,
> even adding a link to source package for his inspection);

I am doing this since last September, and I am tired. If this is the better way,
I give up. I will still maintaining my unofficial packages for the users. If
Debian would like to use it or not, is not my fault.

For sure that I will not contact Christian again. I think that his absence in
just reply a single message - because I sent several messages, and the upstream
also - is very disrespectful.

> Hope this give you a nice resolution path.

At least you tried. And many thanks for your time Mr. Tosi. :)

I give up to try to fix it on Debian. IF some day he needs help, then HE will
ask me. He has my email. Until that, the BTS will have 6 bugs for more a couple
of years I think, and the users an outdated package.

Again, thank you for your attention, and sorry if I was rude. My frustration is
not your fault.

- --
Eder L. Marques
Just another weekend hacker