Re: Removing orphaned packages from testing

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:35:27PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Montag, 16. Februar 2009, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> > The idea was to leave them out of *testing*, not immediately dropping them
> > from the archive.
> Such a hint file could also (after a while...) be autogenerated and thus
> maintainance free! :)

Please apply common sense.  We had discussions about packages like lilo
that were removed for RC-buggyness.  Those are now blocked by some pseudo-
packages and their removal through hints is prevented but I do not think
that we cover all packages which people might rely on.  (Yes, I am aware
that they will still be present on the disks of the people that use the
software, but if you find out that, say, your bootloader was dropped
yonks ago is not particulary nice.)

That maintainance should be done and if you want to do such removals,
somebody should doublecheck them.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern
--
 .''`.  Philipp Kern                        Debian Developer
: :' :  http://philkern.de                         Release Assistant