Re: Trying to fix some packages maintained by QA team

Hello Julien,

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 21:41, Julien Lavergne
<julien.lavergne@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found that some packages have watch files broken, so I tried to fix
> some of them. The 2 first I found (phat and vbetool) was orphaned and
> maintaining by the QA team. So I looked at them, fixed the watch file

first of all, let me thank you for working on orphaned packages.

> and some others easy things. But now I don't know what to do :
> - Can I request a review of this changes for an upload ? (they are
> available on mentors)

well, send a normal RFS (I used to put debian-qa@lists.debian.org in
CC, jsut in case) to debian-mentors;  personally, I tend to give
higher prority to QA uploads and for updated packages (instead of
completely new packages) so I may upload them :)

> Maybe QA upload are only for fixing serious bugs ?

Of course not! anyhow, just a watch file fix does not warrant an
upload: you can try to get the packages in a good shape, updating to
the current standards, fixing some bug, fixing lintian errors/warnings
or so.

> - Do I need to adopt this packages ? I'm not using them, so I don't
> think I can be a good maintainer.

Not needed, QA uploads are done on packages still orphaned but that
find someone willing to invest her time in updating them.

> Just to know how the QA team work and if I can continue this type of
> correction, or if it's not necessary or useless :)

They are much very welcome, and I encourage to work on them: you can
learn *a lot* from these kind of uploads. There are so many oprhaned
packages that need love :) A warning: before working on a qa upload,
check if the package can be removed instead (because it's very
outdated, has better replacement, and so on).