Re: mercury: should this package be removed?

Paul Bone wrote:

Hi Barry.

I'm interested in re-packaging this, however it's going to be one of
those things that gets a small amount of attention here and there.  I'm
one of the Mercury developers, so I use and develop on Mercury
day-to-day.

This will mean that there may be 6-12 mercury-related packages.  And
since I haven't packaged for Debian before this is rather an ominous
task.  I intend to read plenty of documentation and seek the help of
debian-mentors@debian.org as appropriate.

I'm in a similar position - not much time, and have never created a Debian package before. I was going to create one big package, but 6-12 makes more sense.

I usually use the ROTD releases, however that's mostly because I'm
working on Mercury it's self.  It is probably useful to package a stable
release and a ROTD, since we havn't made a release for a while.

One of the reasons that the previous version never made it to stable was that was an ROTD, so I see using a ROTD only as a bit of a trap. Packaging both might be good though, but only have the release version go into Lenny.

Unfortunatly I can't make any progress of when this will be done, and
I'm not yet sure the best way to do it.  Will removing the old package
from Debian make it harder for me to get this one in?  If so I'd like it
left in Debian until I'm able to complete this.  But since I want to
package the new stable version instead removing it may not affect me.

I was involved in discussions on this a while ago (when I put in the ITA) and my thought was to leave it in so the bug history etc. doesn't get removed (some it it is still relevant). Taking it over might also make it easier to get a sponsor if you are not a Debian dev. It would also be nice not to have another package grab the name. However the maintainers have the final say on that.

Ray Ward:  I'd like to addopt this, may I?  If you agree I'll change O
to ITA and make myself the owner on bug #379682.

Absolutely, particularly as my ITA was quite some time ago, and I've still not managed to get a package ready. It sounds like we are in similar positions time and experience wise, and you have the advantage of being a developer - I've only been a user for a few years. My main interest is to see that a reasonably recent Mercury package gets into Debian.

With what limited time I've got, I'm also happy to help in any way I can.

Cheers,
Roy Ward.