Re: Can we orphan dlocate?

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 08:12 +0200, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 11:45:58PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > The maintainer appears to have lost interest in the package (last upload 1999).
> > It's also his only package; he is probably MIA.  (I seem to remember him being
> > very angry about Debian's decision to apply the Social Contract and DFSG to all
> > of Debian, and particularly at me for advocating it, so he may have left
> > Debian deliberately.)
>
> No, he has not.

This maintainer has exactly one package to care for, this one, which he
hasn't gotten around to uploading in more than seven years. Maybe he
hasn't left Debian officially, but he is clearly not maintaining
packages.

> Just like all the other 10-year-old packages that have 7-year-old bugs?  If
> the package doesn't have any RC problems, why should it be orphaned just
> because there are some older bugs?

Yes.

Package quality is not only measured by the number of RC bugs; a larger
set of bugs can make the quality go down significantly, even if a single
one would not be release critical. A non-orphaned package will,
according to current practices, not have lesser important bugs fixed in
NMU's, nor will someone easlily take over maintenance (it's considered
"hijacking").

The current maintainer is not maintaining it in any sense of the word,
so orphaning would be just as good in the worst case. But probably
better: it makes it clear that a new maintainer is wanted, an interested
person could step up and get the package really into shape. It also
opens the package up to QA-uploads.

> If anything, this looks to me like a veiled attempt to remove the
> package from the archive,

If you oppose *removing* packages that don't have RC-bugs, then you need
to have another discussion. Orphaning clearly unmaintained packages is
exactly in line with what a package in "orphaned" state is supposed to
signal: "I'm unmaintained, please adopt me!".

Thijs